Tuesday, September 23, 2008

ten on tuesday: the (mostly) food edition














1. The kitchen cupboards are almost done. It's awesome having over double the storage we used to have. It will be great when the microwave can be installed, instead of tucked away on its side underneath the counter.

2. I had my first pumpkin spice latte of the season this morning. It is fall now, you know.

3. Unfortunately for my new Calvin Klein jeans (woo hoo! my very first pair of fancy-pants/big name label jeans ever!), the latte also came along with a pumpkin muffin from starbucks.

4. And also unfortunately for the jeans, we had Baileys and cream cheesecake tonight too and the pieces were not small.

5. Thoughts of Spain: on the road again are still running through my head. What a wonderful road trip. I can't wait for more on Sunday.

6. Our green tomatoes are ripening in the basement at a furious rate. I made a batch of tomato sauce last night and it's really quick and yummy.

7. It's so pretty here right now. The leaves are turning colour and it's a riot of red and yellow and brown and green. Have I mentioned fall is my favourite season? It is right now. (Just don't ask me in the spring when I can't wait for tiny shoots of green to pop up out of the ground. Then spring is my favourite)

8. I'm so enjoying the Red Letter Days class at Big Picture Scrapbooking. I actually scrapbooked a page. I haven't done that in... a year? longer?

9. Anyone have potty training recommendations?

10. Almost-as-easy-as-a-mix muffins:

Oatmeal Buttermilk Muffins

1 c buttermilk
1 c rolled oats
1 egg
½ c brown sugar
1 c whole wheat flour
½ t baking soda
1 ½ tsp salt
4 T vegetable oil
½ cup raisins

Mix the buttermilk and oatmeal together and let it stand for 5 min. then add the egg and brown sugar mix will. Add the dry ingredients and then the oil.
Bake in a greased muffin tin at 400 f for 15 To 20 min.

We have made them without the raisins and substituted frozen blueberries, as well as with a fresh peach (divine!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your kitchen! How fun when it comes together. It's so fresh and pretty :)

I also had my first pumpkin spice latte a few days back also. Quite yummy. I must admit I do love fall, but feel a bit traumatized about it's coming at the same time. Where did summer go?